Media Release

Thursday, 04 May 2017 14:17
Rate this item
(325 votes)

Ueli Steck buried by his family FR EN DE
Zurich / Katmandu, May 4, 2017 - Ueli Steck's family took farewell of Ueli in the monastery of Tengboche near Katmandu (Nepal) on Thursday morning (local time) as part of a solemn ceremony. According to the Nepali tradition, the deceased was cremated in an impressive ceremony which lasted around three hours.
Ueli Steck's wife Nicole and the parents of Ueli and Nicole took part in the mourning celebration. It was the wish of the family to hold this abdication in the closest familial circle. The family described the ceremonial as solemn and impressive, sad and at the same time liberating. They will keep the three-hour abdication gratefully in their mind. The family gave their sincere thanks to the monks of Tengboche monastery for the hospitality and the most dignified way of saying goodbye to Ueli.
As a sign of memory to Ueli, the family will take a part of the ashes to Switzerland.   The family also intends to hold a farewell party in Switzerland for the friends, acquaintances and professional colleagues of Ueli as well as for the public. Place and date of this celebration are currently open. The family will inform about the details of this celebration in due course.  

Kloster Tengboche2

Further background of the accident of Ueli Steck
On April 29, 2017, Ueli Steck ascended from the Everest base camp to camp 2 on about 6400 meters above sea level. His original plan was to climb the next day for further acclimatization on the Everest traditional route to the almost 8000 meters high south col, in order to return to camp 2 on the same day.
From camp 2, Ueli noted that the conditions in the Nuptse wall were ideal, which is why he decided in the evening to change his plan and to climb up to Nuptse the following day.
On April 30, 2017, Ueli started at 4:30 am. Together with the Frenchman Yannick Graziani, he crossed the gaping glacier. Afterwards, Graziani continued on the Everest normal route towards Camp 3, while Ueli entered into the Lhotse flank. Uelis accident occurred on around 7600 meters at about 09.00 (local time). His body was finally recovered by the Italian helicopter pilot Maurizio Folini at a height of about 6600 meters and transferred to the hospital of Katmandu.
The cause of the accident is still unknown.
Note to editors:
The family has set up a condolence book for the friends and acquaintances of Ueli:
For further information:
Andreas Bantel Spokesman of Ueli Steck Bantel & Partner AG Othmarstrasse 8 CH-8008 Zurich
office   +41 44 389 17 05
mobile +41 79 231 56 62
fax       +41 44 575 31 97